Monday, June 15, 2009

Songs for Two

Duets are weird; they can be so right (Johnny Cash and June Carter) or so completely wrong (Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock). There are some fantastic girl/girl duets (Enough is Enough, by Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer) or guy/guy duets (Under Pressure, David Bowie and Freddie Mercury) but there’s something uniquely appealing about a guy/girl duet. Like watching kids you know play the lead roles in a high school production of “Bye Bye Birdie,” just waiting for that weird moment when they have to kiss.

Songs for Two
(Complete mixtape available on Blip.fm)

1. Bouncing Souls – Wish Me Well ( You Can Go To Hell)
Kai says: A duet complete with bickering!

2. NOFX – Lori Meyers
Kathy says: I once got into a long argument with a dude about whether or not this is Courtney Love (it’s not, I won), but the fact that it’s not is kind of why I love this as a duet. This is actually the girl from the Muffs and she manages to entirely steal this song in about a dozen lines. She outsnarls and outgrowls Fat Mike like it ain’t no thing, making this kind of a hate fuck of a perfect duet.

3. Meatloaf (and Ellen Foley) – Paradise By the Dashboard Light
Kathy says: Ellen Foley doesn’t get the equal billing she deserves on this song, which is 90% Meatloaf jam, 10% Ellen, but would be 100% lame if it weren’t for her “Stop right theeeeeere!” My life is a constant search for the perfect guy to star as the Meatloaf in my dream karaoke rendition of this song, convinced that when I do it will become sword-in-the-stone-apparent that we are meant to be together.

4. Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin – Je t’aime…Moi Non Plus
Kathy says: Dirty. This is a dirty duet. So good that the Vatican denounced it.

5. Grizzly Bear and Feist – Service Bell
Kai says: A haunting duet about loving someone who is sleeping around. A LOT.

6. Peaches and Herb – Reunited
Kai says: A couple reuniting and it sounds so good.

7. Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond – You Don’t Bring Me Flowers
Kai says: When I think of Duets, this is the first song that comes to mind. Neil and Barbra sing about a relationship falling apart with sweet seventies sadness.

8. Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes – I’ve Had the Time of My Life
Kathy says: Shut up and let me have my estrogen moment.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I feel really stupid. I've been listening to Punk in Drublic for over ten years now, and I always just thought Fat Mike was singing both parts of Lori Meyers.

    ReplyDelete